A Letter From London. A Very Happy Birthday.

 


London, May 2022

My Dearest,

I hope you’re well? I received some snippets of what has been happening with you. I hope you’re happy? I hope you’re looking after yourself in a way that only you can do. Believe it or not, I’m glad that someone so kind and gentle is looking after you in a way, now I can’t. I guess I'm hoping you're making the right choices for yourself and that you're having the courage to face what has been bothering you for so long. You deserve happiness dearest; I hope you’re happy, or as happy as you can be. But unfortunately I miss you terribly, perhaps it's that time of year or your stories or the fact that I might not see you again. But perhaps those are just irrational thoughts or fears, who knows. It was my birthday on Monday; it was such a wonderful day. I received lots of letters and cards during the week and a parcel from my sister. I was overwhelmed with the amount of messages I received from all places. It’s a lovely thing to realise people think about you on your birthday and are so generous with their kind words, I shall always cherish it. I had a lovely breakfast in the morning, crumpets, as per usual with medlar jelly and Darjeeling. The sun shone and in the morning I sat in the garden for a little bit, the flowers were fragrant and Mummy called, we had a nice chat. After that I got ready, it was quite warm as you might remember and I wore my cream trousers, I felt positively summery. I visited a gallery in Belgravia, there was a truly glorious exhibition about Munnings which, as you know is one of my favourite artists. The people there were very kind and interesting. We spoke about hunting and art and most importantly about hunting clothes. We were both of the same mind that short hunting coats are rather unsightly to put it mildly and that I have a great passion for swallowtail hunt coats (I just think they’re so dashing) and then I started about the horror of stretchy breeches (you know how I feel about those). I much prefer Bedford Cords or fawn moleskins in between seasons, anyhow it was wonderful and I took some leaflets with me for my friend who no doubt would be interested (and it transpired that he was after I told him).

 After that I went for lunch with someone at the ‘Upstairs Boat deck’ namely The Delaunay and I obviously thought of you, as I always do when I’m there. I had a lovely time. No cocktail to start but a lovely lunch and of course coffee and pudding. As I’ve told you before I always have a cherry gateau for my birthday and this year was no different. As a child I always loved them, only this was a gateau for one, but nevertheless delicious. As I sat there I remembered birthdays past, it was just as warm out and I remembered my grandparents coming over. My papa was always terribly annoyed with the fact that my grandfather smoked endless cigars and granny Balkan Sobranie’s. He would burn even more candles than usual which would ‘eat the smoke’ as he called it and after they’d left he would open all the windows and doors no matter what time it was and which resulted in a terrible draft. This ritual would be repeated for most of the next day too. After copious amount of food we strolled down the Strand and past Somerset House. It’s possibly my favourite building in London but how run down the Strand has become, no more nice shops and lovely places. Horrible touristy restaurants and third rate shops if there are any. But since the weather was nice I looked up and looked at the lovely buildings and the street where I took you with that lovely Art Deco mansion block and some Robert Adam buildings and took a detour via Horse Guards, which is always a treat, it was rather a nice walk. 

After we said our goodbyes I walked a little bit on my own and sat on a bench in St James’s I thought for a bit and I looked at the flowers and the sun that shone so beautifully, I love it when the leaves are so fresh and so well, green!  I headed home afterwards and had a little nap believe it or not. I normally hate naps, you wake up completely disheveled not knowing what year it is and unable to get back into the rhythm of things. But I was quite tired so it was fine really. I thought it was time to change so I fixed my hair and doused myself in talcum powder and No.22 for the evening. I usually wear this scent for my birthday but I couldn’t really tell you why, I suppose it has become a tradition. I wore Immy’s lovely shirt with a club collar that she made for me last year, I do love it so! And my new navy suit had its first outing as well. I thought it would be highly appropriate to wear it on my birthday, along with a navy silk printed tie and a vintage minaudiere. It all felt very much like a cocktail outfit, I was pleased and I set off.

We met for supper at 'The Normandie' and as I descended down the stairs to the dining room I felt a happy little jolt in my stomach and I heard the buzz of people talking and laughing. We had the best table at the back in my favourite booth in the very center. Oh what a delightful thing it is to be surrounded by so many lovely people on ones birthday. It was my first proper, normal birthday in two years because of you know what and it was wonderful. The conversations were witty and invigorating and the people were well, wonderful as always. I’m terribly lucky I suppose that all of them are so interesting and talented and all get along well. I suppose that's the beauty of overlapping interests and all of them having such kind and gentle personalities. I had the usual for supper since I seldom deviate from that, I'm sorry to say. Even though two of them had a delicious main and pudding which I might try soon. We talked about all sorts of things and we all seemed to have such a wonderful time! I spoke to my friend about my highly inspiring gallery visit and about my conversation about hunt coats to which he, unsurprisingly and wholeheartedly agreed.  

We talked about lovely houses, art, books, people and places and trips to the countryside and the opera. I’m so very much in the mood for both, the countryside and the opera and we organised a little trip to the country it should be great fun packed in that lovely old car together, and as you know I'm a very experienced co-pilot. Recently a gentle soul asked me to go to the opera with him to which I agreed. I was touched by his offer, it should be good fun. I’ve been terribly spoiled for my birthday, an array of books which were all inscribed with messages and one I specifically asked for with the loveliest message. I’m terribly fond of a lovely message in the front of a book it makes it very special I feel. A dear friend offered to go to the theatre (all jotted down on a very appropriate card) where I haven’t been in ages and much more, I was over the moon. Then I opened the last present of which I expected to be a lovely drawing of a Palladian house but to my astonishment it was a drawing of me! I hardly dared to get it out of its wrapping, I was so touched and such a likeness! You’ll never guess what I was wearing in the drawing… Yes, you guessed it, a swallowtail hunting coat! I was amazed by it since we'd been talking about it only moments before! What a happy coincidence it was. I was yet again over the moon. It's astonishing how friends can still surprise you and I think people could tell I was completely flabbergasted by this lovely gesture. I was so flattered. I sent a picture of it to Mummy who absolutely loved it and she said she found him very talented and wanted a copy. 

We talked and talked and had a truly wonderful supper and after a while we got up since a few people had to take their leave. However four of us decided to have one more drink in the bar. I ordered a Brandy Alexander, which is perfect as a post prandial cocktail methinks and we talked so me more, such a delight. I always do this thing when I’m in the bar, I always imagine people to be in their finest clothes. The women in bias cut crepe de chine dresses and the men looking very dashing in black or white tie. One can dream I suppose especially on ones birthday.  After a little stroll we went home and when I came home I slipped into my green and red striped pyjamas, freshly washed and pressed, what a treat. I played some of my favourite 30’s songs, Cole Porter and Al, Ivor and lastly ‘You Make Me Feel So Young’ I thought of you, what a cherished moment that was, I shan’t forget it. I arranged my loot of birthday presents on my bed a started flicking through books and read some of the letters, what a lovely day I had had. I can only count my lucky stars. Dearest I hope you do too for I think you have many If you wish to see them. This is all for now, I'm feeling very tired. I hope you’re doing well and visit me in my dreams sometimes, just like that time when I saw you in the garden with your red cap, I dreamt of you the other night, did you burn your forehead being out in the sun recently? Sweet dreams little Peach and angels guard thee.

Avec toute ma tendresse,

F.


Comments

Popular Posts