Letters From London III





                              

London, 24th July 2021

My Dear,

I hope you are doing well? What a week I have had! On Saturday, some friends and I went to the Grange Festival in Hampshire. It was rather marvellous to be back there again, since we could not go last year because of you know what. The opera and the stage and the costumes were as per usual terribly good, it was such a delight. I had been such a terribly long time since I went for the last time, I believe it was February just before everything closed. Then in March I had to resort to go to church one evening to listen to the Stabat Mater by Pergolesi, it was very good and I just focused on the neo Baroque surroundings but luckily haven't gone back since. We had supper in a tent even though the weather was glorious, and we had quite a lot of lovely things to eat and drink. The best thing is that you have so much time to talk and eat and to walk around and enjoy being there. I’d met a few people who I knew from the past and from the last time which was rather nice. But with all these lovely things happening I find it mind boggling that some people are still glued to their phones instead of engaging in interesting conversations or perhaps just to enjoy the moment, we shall never know the reason why. I personally enjoyed it very much and the fact that we could escape to Hampshire and dress up and have a lovely day was very relaxing and exciting indeed.

After the performance we decided to go for a drink at a country pub en-route to the station. A charming architect picked us up in his wonderful car, which he parked in front of the house and off we whizzed over country roads and a little short cut over a field. I sat I the front being the co-pilot as per usual and also because I didn’t have my Hermes scarf with me. We drove so fast and sang along to Frank Sinatra, it made me think of Papa. You would have enjoyed it if you'd be there, but don't wear your cream dinner jacket though, and do bring your dashing friend who looks like an 1930's Austrian diplomat. It'll be a Hoot! Well, once at the pub, I was engaged in a rather gripping conversation with the architect until we realised, we simply had to go in order to catch the last train! We had half an hour to make it to the station, on winding country lanes with a charming old car which was packed with nicely dressed boys and Frank Sinatra blasting from the speakers again. It was quite the adventure, and our charming architect was quite the Formula 1 driver and I asked him to practice some hunting cries, which was rather fun! I felt my ankles warm up as we kept accelerating and I was worried the engine would overheat! (thank the gods it didn't). But as we reached the station, we missed the last train back to London by a tenth of a second and I suppose it must have been quite the spectacle for the on lookers to see a throng of boys in black tie running across the platform, it was all rather amusing. I haven't done that in years! We caught our breathes and decided to take a taxi back to London which turned out to be almost quicker than the train. So, it was quite the adventure! Needless to say, I was rather tired next day from coming home late but oh it was so worth it since none of us had an adventure like this in quite a while.

I hope you're well my dear? And next time you visit London we must go to the Claridges again! I hope to see you soon.

With love,

Fabio




Comments

Popular Posts